Who is the Global Water Center?
The Global Water Center, a collaborative initiative established by Water Mission, is a platform creating a movement of millions of individuals and scaling the impact of safe water implementers, corporate partners, foundations, and other nonprofits to end water poverty. Our ultimate goal is to bring the number of people affected by water poverty from 2,200,000,000 to 0. Working at the Global Water Center is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Bookkeeper will support the accounting department by assisting with daily financial activities, including processing and recording transactions, conducting reconciliations, preparing reports and budgets, communicating with vendors and suppliers, filing, and other critical accounting functions. The Bookkeeper will play a critical role in helping the Global Water Center’s accounting department run efficiently. This is a full-time position based in Charleston, SC.
A successful Bookkeeper will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Prepare asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Document financial transactions by entering account information.
- Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Summarize current financial status by collecting information, preparing balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and other reports.
- Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Maintain financial security by following internal controls.
- Prepare payments by verifying documentation and requesting disbursements.
- Prepare special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Maintain customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
- 3+ years of bookkeeping or basic accounting experience.
- Intermediate Excel skills.
- Experience working with accounting software, QuickBooks preferred.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of common accounting, business, and manufacturing concepts, practices, and procedures (not-for-profit accounting experience preferred).
- An understanding of and ability to work with all levels of staff.
- Ability to command respect and project confidence.
- Ability to work with a team toward common goals and overcome diverse obstacles.
- Impeccable integrity and stewardship, demonstrating to GWC investors that gifts are well-used.
- Ability to organize personal workload and multi-task.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.