Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served nearly 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day financial activities of the ministry that may include contribution management, accounts payable, general ledger maintenance, account reconciliations, and accurate financial reporting. This is a remote, full-time position that reports to the Director of Accounting. A successful Accountant will:
- Prepare asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information
- Document financial transactions by entering account information
- Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options
- Summarize current financial status by collecting data and preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports
- Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information
- Maintain financial security by following internal controls
- Prepare payments by verifying documentation and requesting disbursements
- Prepare special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends
- Maintain customer confidence and protect operations by keeping financial information confidential
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, preferred. Other degrees such as Business Administration will be considered.
- 3 to 5 years of work experience required
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of commonly used accounting, business, and manufacturing concepts and practices (nonprofit accounting experience preferable)
- Strong analytical skills; ability to work through complex issues and employ reasoning skills to solve problems, a plus
- International and multi-currency accounting experience a plus
- An understanding of and ability to work with volunteers and all levels of staff, including indigenous staff in developing countries
- Capable of working with a team toward common goals and overcome diverse obstacles
- Ability to organize personal workloads
- Strong integrity and stewardship, demonstrating to investors that gifts are well-used
- Accounting software experience required; ERP experience preferred