Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 5 million people in 56 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Community Engagement Manager will be responsible for developing and cultivating volunteer relationships and generating revenue and awareness in the Charleston area by developing and leading volunteer committees, expanding donor and sponsorship opportunities, and managing logistics for Water Mission’s annual signature event – the Walk for Water in Charleston, SC. – taking a highly successful 15-year event to the next level. In addition, he/she will work to support and help develop additional community and/or church walks in surrounding communities/states – developing and cultivating relationships with volunteers coordinating their own Walk for Water events. Finally, the Community Engagement Manager will maximize support and funds raised while increasing awareness of the global water crisis through the support of third-party fundraisers. This full-time position is based out of Charleston, SC, and reports to the Sr. Community Engagement Manager. As this position engages volunteers this successful candidate will develop and implement all Walk-related activities in alignment with the high impact volunteer principles and will be consistent with the high impact volunteer area team structure. A successful Community Engagement Manager will:
- Oversee all aspects of Water Mission’s flagship Walk for Water in North Charleston, SC in including strategic planning, relationship building, fundraising, volunteer management, and logistics ensuring growth in revenue, participation, and awareness
- Recruit, select, and lead team of volunteers and co-workers in alignment with high impact volunteer principles that provides a best-in-class day-of experience for donors, sponsors, and walkers at the Charleston walk as well as other community and/or church walks
- Develop a volunteer team structure that is consistent with the High Impact Area Team model
- Lead volunteers and work with Investor Partnerships in identifying, cultivating, and stewarding new and returning sponsorship partners for the Charleston Walk for Water
- Develop and cultivate relationship with volunteers representing corporations, churches, and individual team captains to recruit walkers and raise funds in the Charleston area
- Work with Water Mission’s Volunteer Manager to ensure all volunteers associated with the Charleston Walk for Water are recruited, placed, and trained
- Work in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications team to coordinate and ensure quality and timely public communications using all forms of media (i.e. internet, social media, radio, television, print, etc.) for the Charleston Walk for Water as well as assigned community and/or church walks
- Speak to community groups, churches, and corporations to promote the Charleston Walk for Water and recruit sponsors and volunteers
- Ensure all relationship cultivation and actions are documented in Raiser’s Edge
- Provide guidance and logistical support for assigned Community and Church Walk for Water events outside the Charleston are as well as third-party fundraisers
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with 3+ years of fundraising and event management experience
- Proven organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to thrive under pressure and proven track record of meeting deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Confidence speaking and presenting to large groups of volunteers, donors, and event participants
- Proven experience in volunteer leadership and management, including motivating and leading volunteers to achieve goals
- Strong diplomacy skills when working with volunteers, donors, and other constituents
- Strong project management skills such as ability to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and create systems and processes
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evening and weekend events