Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served nearly 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Marketing Director will lead Water Mission’s marketing strategy—designing a consistent and compelling message for diverse audiences across multiple platforms including social media, online, email, and print. This position will drive engagement in our mission to bring safe water and God’s love to all by developing marketing strategies and overseeing their implementation to raise brand awareness, engage key partners and audiences, and tell Water Mission’s story and growing impact. In addition, he/she will establish and maintain systems and processes that enable the marketing team to produce deliverables that reflect industry best practices and our core values of love, excellence, and integrity. This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and will be based in Charleston, South Carolina. A successful Marketing Director will:
- Represent Water Mission
- Faithfully serve in keeping with Water Mission's core values and biblical philosophy of stewardship to all audiences, internal and external.
- Consistently present a professional image and effectively communicate the mission and scope of Water Mission.
- Maintain working knowledge of Water Mission projects, activities, and operations, as well as global and news-worthy issues in order to effectively engage our audiences.
- Marketing Strategy Development and Implementation
- Develop and implement brand strategy in keeping with Water Mission’s core values of love, excellence, and integrity.
- Perform marketing research to better understand target audiences and needs. Utilize findings to anticipate needs and identify opportunities to maximize impact.
- Lead the development and execution of marketing strategies and plans that align with short- and long-term goals.
- Work closely with content and creative teams to grow and engage audiences across owned, earned, and paid channels.
- Provide strategic direction for the creation of integrated brand campaigns that optimize the user experience across all platforms.
- Confirm that deliverables meet quality standards, stay on or under budget, and are on time. Develop standard operating procedures so each project meets these objectives.
- Ensure complex ideas and processes related to engineering and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) are understandable and engaging to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- Set and measure key performance indicators and provide forecasts and reports to stakeholders that translate marketing analytics into actionable insight. Optimize campaign performance utilizing the latest testing and tracking techniques.
- Work closely with Donor Care and IT teams to conduct data analyses, data acquisition, database management, and marketing automation.
- Generate brand standards and content style guides and work with content director to ensure their implementation across all published content from the organization.
- Work collaboratively with global teams to ensure brand consistency.
- Oversee and grow a team of marketing and production specialists responsible for taking projects from concept to completion, including the creation and management of schedules, budgets, production timelines, content development, and approvals.
- Continuously improve internal production and quality control processes for marketing assets to make the most effective and efficient use of resources.
- Assist in the recruiting and hiring for direct reports.
- Manage the annual marketing budget, including development of campaign forecasts and goals.
- Provide direction to consultants, agencies, and vendors used by the marketing team.
- Provide excellent service to internal teams and strategic partners, delivering projects on time and on budget.
- Perform supervisory duties including, but not limited to, overseeing staff training and development, prioritizing project requests, managing workloads and deadlines, setting project scope, meeting schedules and milestones, and conducting performance reviews.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith, core values and principles of biblical stewardship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, English, or another related field. Master’s degree is a plus, but not required.
- 7-10+ years of professional experience in brand development or strategic marketing.
- 3+ years of management experience.
- Nonprofit experience preferred, but not required.
- Impeccable oral, written, and editorial skills.
- Ability to build consensus and translate complex ideas.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Thrives under pressure and has proven track record of meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work in a highly fluid environment and respond to changing requests.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of people.
- Commitment to the values and mission of the organization and ending the global water crisis.