Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served nearly 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is an officer of Water Mission that has primary responsibility for managing the company's global finances, including accounting, financial planning, management of financial risks, record-keeping, and financial reporting for Water Mission’s US operations and nine offshore programs. The CFO role reports to the chief executive officer (CEO). The CFO supervises the accounting and finance units and has the ultimate responsibility for the global accuracy of the general ledger, financial reports, and audited financial statements. The CFO is the chief financial spokesperson for the organization and directly assists the Chief Operating Officer (COO) on all strategic and tactical matters relating to budget management, cost–benefit analysis, forecasting needs and securing funding when needed. The CFO is expected to have a firm grasp of the difference between finance and accounting specifically when it comes to the difference between legal compliance and information needed to make sound management decisions. A successful CFO will:
- Oversee and manage all financial and accounting operations globally, including finance/accounting staff
- Manage all cash flow and financial planning for the organization
- Lead all budgeting and forecasting activities
- Help oversee current and future investments and capital structures
- Advise on methods to increase revenue and bring down costs
- Serves as staff liaison to the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board
- Work with the CEO and COO on all financial matters
- Assess financial risks and work to minimize them, always staying abreast to any changes in the market and communicating them to the CEO and COO
- Create financial outlook reports and ensure company funds are sufficient
- Manage and track budget and accounting information including billing, collections, and tax information
- Oversee all fiscal reporting within the company ensuring the reports are accurate and timely
- Oversee and hold primary accountability for all audited financial statements in the US and overseas
- Develop, implement, and oversee treasury and risk management objectives
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- 10+ years finance/accounting experience in a managerial position
- Finance/accounting experience in a not-for-profit organization strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; MBA preferred
- Experience with foreign currency exchange rate, inflation, and cost of living fluctuation and demonstration of how to respond to these external issues for stabilizing foreign subsidiary work environments
- CPA preferred
- Results-driven personality eager to partner with upper management to organize, plan and achieve company financial goals
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Exceptional time management and ability to problem solve under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills