Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served nearly 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Technical Writer for Technical Standards is responsible for the development of written documentation and presentation scripts, which will contribute to the production of technical standards for Water Mission’s safe water, sanitation, and hygiene projects. The candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to understand general engineering principles necessary for this effort. This full-time position is based in Charleston, SC, and reports to the Engineering Manager for Technical Standards.
Travel to remote locations in developing countries is required. As needs arise, candidates need to be prepared to travel three to six months out of the year (i.e., multiple trips during a single calendar year totaling three to six months). Though not a primary role in this position, candidates need to be aware that travel to a disaster response situation may be required with only 72 hours of notice.
The Technical Writer, Technical Standards will:
- Work in a posture of humble service to God and others
- Commitment to Water Mission’s values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Work in a team environment to develop engineering and construction standards for worldwide projects, with a primary focus on the production and maintenance of written documentation and presentation scripts
- Write clearly and accurately on complex engineering concepts used within Water Mission, while also distilling concepts into easy to understand materials for other readers
- Develop content that is on-brand and consistent with Water Mission’s style and messaging
- Work in a team environment to conduct research and interviews, as well as to verify facts and information in a timely and accurate manner
- Give attention to multiple simultaneous projects
- Maintain good communications with multiple team members across multiple countries and time zones
- Maintain good communications with outside entities
- Ensure work is done within an agreed upon scope, schedule, and budget
- Participate in the content review process by incorporating feedback, checking for quality control, and securing approvals
- Prepare and give presentations to other departments, country program office staff, strategic partners, donors, and volunteers
- Work within cross-cultural environments and overcome stereotypes and language barriers
- Assist in the assurance of global consistency of content
- Lend technical communication support to disaster response activities as needed at headquarters, field offices, and unknown remote locations
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism preferred (related degrees considered)
- 3-5 years of technical writing experience, preferably in an engineering setting
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Knowledgeable skills with office computer programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Exemplary writing, editing, grammar, and proofreading skills
- High attention to detail
- Excellent relationship skills
- Experience in developing countries, preferred
- Spanish or French language skills beneficial
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote locations in developing countries is required
- Ability and willingness to travel up to three to six months out of the year (i.e., multiple trips during a single calendar year totaling three to six months) required. Most international trips are 2 weeks to 3 months in length and require this person to ride in long car rides on rough terrain and stand for extended periods of time in hot weather.
- Though not a primary responsibility, ability and willingness to travel to a disaster response situation with only 72 hours of notice is required