Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served nearly 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Under the guidance of the Country Director, the Compliance Manager is responsible for developing and monitoring the control environment within Water Mission Uganda according to established standards and procedures to help ensure our work is conducted with love, excellence, and integrity. This position is based in Jinja, Uganda and requires frequent travel to remote locations within Uganda to carry out assessments, inspections, and/or training.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate the Water Mission Uganda Risk and Compliance Strategic Plan
- Set-up the Risk and Compliance Unit based on Water Mission Uganda’s Strategic Plan
- Work with all Department Heads to identify Departmental Key Risk Indicators
- Set-up a Water Mission Uganda Risk Register
- Develop a weekly and monthly Key Risk Indicator Measurement Framework
- Prepare monthly reports to management on the risk and compliance environment
- Conduct monthly compliance audits to ensure adherence to regulatory requirements
- Set-up a regulatory control matrix for Water Mission Uganda to ensure compliance to all regulatory acts and guidelines
- Review Water Mission Uganda policies to ensure Group/HQ and regulatory compliance
- Ensure sufficient controls are set up in all the Departments to avoid any gaps, breaches or possible fraud
- Follow-up registration of the organization with all relevant legal and regulatory bodies that govern the entity’s operations and enforce adherence to all the appropriate sections to avoid related penalties. Examples include the Financial Intelligence Act, NGO Board, Anti-Money Laundering Act 1, 2013 and its Regulations of December 2015 etc.
- Participate in the organization’s Strategic Development Meetings and contribute to establishing well researched, reliable internal controls and monitor adherence to those controls
- Track the implementation status of agreed donor and statutory audit recommendations with management, departmental heads, and staff
- Prepare and conduct compliance/internal control trainings for staff on internal controls, risk management, policies and procedures, laws and regulations based on current trends and standards
- Carry out scheduled as well as impromptu compliance spot checks as and when deemed necessary
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by your Supervisor and/or management from time to time
Minimum Education, Work Experience, and Skills
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration
- Professional Accounting or Auditing qualifications such as ACCA, CPA, CISA, CIA; Institute of Internal Auditors of Uganda membership is desirable
- 4+ years’ experience in internal/ external audit practice, finance, risk management in a reputable NGO, commercial organization, or institution
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of Tax Laws, Leadership Codes, Police Act, the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda, and Labor Laws
- Strong working knowledge of industry legal requirements and controls (e.g. Anti-Money Laundering)
- Track record of integrity and commitment to professional ethics
- Attention to detail and strategic thinking style
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment with strict deadlines
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills and the ability to influence at all levels of the organization
- Ability to make frequent field travels to the refugee settlements in Arua, Yumbe, Zombo, and Kiryandongo districts and other operational areas in and around Busoga sub region