*Application Deadline is April 23rd
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served nearly 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Under the leadership of the WASH Team Leader, the WASH Officer is responsible for supporting Water Mission Uganda's (WMU) WASH related activities in the refugee settlements according to the program's established standards and procedures. Water Mission is called to share safe water and God's love with all people, so the WASH Officer will have the opportunity to share the Gospel with their words and actions. This role requires full-time residence in Arua, Uganda and will involve travel to different refugee settlements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the WASH related activities undertaken by WMU in the refugee settlements
- Participate in coordination meetings and represent WMU within the refugee settlements
- Support the formation, training, and follow-up of Safe Water Committees on existing and new safe water projects in the settlements
- Mobilize refugee communities in assigned locations to participate in WASH activities
- Regularly notify the WASH Team Leader of any matters that require attention or action
- Lead the roll-out of user fee contributions among the refugee community and initiate WASH promotion with the support of WASH promoters
- Document lessons learned and any significant case studies from the refugee communities
- Develop and submit weekly & monthly reports on the program in the respective districts on time
- Help develop tools for assessments and collection of baseline data for WASH related activities
- Work with the Tap Operators to ensure that the settlement has running water in the stand taps at all the designated times
- Ensure that communities are fully mobilized for safe water projects per Water Mission standards
- Ensure that accurate and complete time and expense reports are prepared and submitted to the office on time
- Support the spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the refugee WASH program
Minimum Education, Work Experience, and Skills
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Degree in environmental health science, public health, social work, social science, and/or developmental studies
- 3+ years of experience in WASH in humanitarian and developmental programing
- Advanced skills with office computer programs, i.e. PowerPoint, Excel, and MS Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; English & Lugbara/Arabic/Luo/Kakwa are preferred
- High organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment